Štrbské pleso (Štrbské Mountain-lake)
   Text    Map    Detailed map    Google Map

    A tourist and sanatory settlement with the highest elevation in the High Tatras. It is situated in the southern bank of the mountain-lake.
    Originally, the first cottage was built there in 1872. This cottage (owned by Jozef Szentivány) was a founding point for the tourist centre Štrbské Mountain-lake.
    Ungarian-Carpatian association gave an impulse for building up a tourist hostel. Other hotels, restaurants, several small villas and a bath house followed shortly after. The settlement was officially recognised for „healing spas". The hotels Hviezdoslav and Kriváň were built as the last in 1906.
    Mountain railway from Tatranská Štrba up to Štrbské Mountain-lake was built in 1876. In 1921 it was rebuilt into a road. Therefore in 1896 another parallel mountain railway was built (in 1933 it was replaced by buses). In 1885 Štrbské Mountain-lake was connected with Old Smokovec and in 1911 another mountain-railway was finished and open to public.
    After the World War 2 hotels were used as asthma sanatoria. In 1970 when it was necessary to prepare the area for the Winter Ski Championship, new modern accommodation and boarding facilities were built up. At the same time, new electric railways (the railway from Tatranská Štrba), communication services, stores, and ski-lifts in Mlynická Valley were built. In 1976 a modern sanatory house Helios was open to public.
    Gustáv Nedobrý (1893 - 1966), one of the founders of Mountain-climbing Association (IAMES), an organiser of the Slovak tourism and at the same time a member of Mountain Rescue Service, lived in Štrbské Mountain-lake, too.

Note: Local part of the village Štrba.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy