Nová Lesná (New Lesná)
The village is situated between the Popradská kotlina (Popradská Basin) and the southeastern part of the High Tatras. A part of the district belongs to the area of the High Tatras National Park. The village is only 4,160 km2 large. In the middle of the village there is a Roman-Catholic and an Evangelic church.
The area of the Old Lesná village was inhabited already in the late Stone Age (eneolit) - a settlement with fluted ceramics, numerous findings of bronze instruments from the younger Bronze Age. It is documented that the Berzeviczy family founded the village in 1315. At that time it was called Villa Menhardi.
Later it was renamed as Erdeufalwa alias Menarddrf in 1405, Felsewerdewfalwa in 1469, Nowa Lesna (in German Neuwaldorf) in 1808. In the 16-th century it was a part of the Spiš region and in the 18-th century it belonged to the Berzeviczy and Horváth-Stanczits family.
Majority of the people were Slovaks and Germans - usually farmers, flax producers, hunters, merchants and carriers. Nowadays they work for the High Tatras tourist services. The village has a very attractive tourist location - close to the High Tatras, close to the city Poprad and only 10 km far from an international airport. It offers about 1500 beds for tourists in family houses and 5 pensions. The village founded its own travel agency - Tatry Ltd. that mediates promotion, exchange services and hikes to the beauties of the High Tatras mountains as well as the Spiš region.
In order to promote healthy way of living the village organizes an annual international race up the hill called "Ján Still Memorial". The race starts in the New Lesná and ends at the tourist centre Hrebienok. It is 9570 m long and has a 533 m camber.