Skalnatá chata (The Rocky Chalet)
This chalet (1725 m) is situated at the threshold of the
Skalnatá dolina (Rocky Valley). Originally, it was a chalet built of stone.
The very first visitors of the
Rocky Valley slept outside under a huge rock called "Ohnisko" (Fireplace). In 1841 it was closed and another wall was built in 1877. Thus a very simple shed arose, which was rebuilt into a cottage (1914) known as "a cavern" between tourists. After several reconstructions it gained its current design.
The responsible authority for the chalet is Ladislav Kulanga. He works at the same time as a porter and has several records that still have not been overcome (141 kg to the
Zbojnícka Chalet, 151 kg to the
Téryho Chalet, 207,5 kg to the
Zamkovského Chalet). He brought 211 kg from the Rocky Chalet down to the middle station Štart of the
The chalet is open to public the whole year.